Congratulations! You’re engaged, and I’m so excited for you! I know you’re ready to get straight to planning (you’ve only been waiting for this for 15 years!), so let’s get to it! These are the first five things I’d recommend to do after getting engaged:
1. Hire a wedding planner! I know I’m a little biased, but this is one decision I guarantee you won’t regret! Whether you hire a planner to solely manage your wedding day, or hire her to work with you for the entire planning process, you are sure to receive an incredible amount of value from day one. Your wedding planner will always be there for you to talk things through, especially when your fiancé has just had it with wedding talk! She will also allow you to enjoy your wedding day by taking care of all the logistics throughout the day so you don’t have to!
2. Pick a venue! This task definitely requires some effort. Once you decide the feel of your wedding (barn, fancy, outdoors, etc.) you can start researching eligible venues. I’d suggest picking your top five based on reviews, pictures, and pricing, and then schedule a site visit at each one and spend a Saturday touring them all. The reason I recommend you do this step immediately is because venues book up very quickly - sometimes even two years out. If you have your heart set on a date this is something you need to choose as soon as possible. Also, everyone will be asking if you have a date yet, and you really can’t be sure until your venue is reserved!
3. Engagement photos! Ah, the fun part, getting pretty and snuggling up with your honey while your personal paparazzi takes beautiful photos of you! These photos can act as decorations on your gift table and sign-in table at the wedding, and will most likely be used on your save the dates as well.
4. Create a guest list and send out save the dates! Creating your guest list isn’t always the easiest task, but it’s super important. All of your vendors will need to know your guest count, and keep in mind that the more guests you invite, the more money you’ll end up spending. Once you have your list formulated you can choose save the dates (I recommend Minted) and send them off!
5. Book remaining vendors! The must-have vendors include photographer, caterer, florist, DJ, cake, and hair/makeup. Some others you could also include are Photo Booth, rentals, and videographer! Don’t forget to do your research on Wedding Wire to make sure you book reliable and quality vendors.
Good luck, congratulations, and enjoy the planning process!